Saturday 9 November 2013

Rolling Thunder Mayhem

The Rolling Thunder run (Paluma to Hidden Valley Cabins)


This year is my third run in the Rolling thunder. I remember well when I run the first time. I was nearly delirious when I arrived, and was looking for the ‘timer’ so I could stop running!  There wasn’t anyone taking the time, so I ran around asking who timed me and where to go,  until someone stopped me and gave me some water. I sat down . . .  and was very stiff when I got up!

The second time, I ran with Cameron. He flew ahead like always, but every so often he would go in the bushes to relieve himself and –like the hare and the turtle- I passed him at that time !! I was so stuffed that I could not eat my Steak and salad. BTW My time was 2hrs, 8 min and a bit.

This year would be different. I felt it. My goal was to 1) get under 2hrs or 2) be faster than last year.
My plan was the same as last year: Run the 22km in 5km lots. Run to the next water stop. When we set off and we came to the first couple of hills, I was amazed how easy it was to get on top.. last year I was always struggling with the first 8km (of hills).  Now I could even sprint up a little. On the long stretches I saw Cameron and the other ‘greyhounds’ ahead of me; however they were not disappearing in the distance. Every time I saw them I was still the same distance away from them.   

At the 5km waterstop I had a quick rinse-and-sip. I felt great and did not want to lose my ‘place’.

The ten km waterstop arrived quickly and I checked for my time travelled. It was slightly under one hour: 55 min!  I thought: If I keep this up, I might do this race under 2 hours!  I felt great, not tired, no ‘wall’ and stayed the same distance with the runner in front of me

At the 15km waterstop I took a gel, to prepare for the last stretch.. At the 17-18km mark I met Cameron. His backpack was poking him, and his legs were hurting ! I felt great (that I passed him) and that I was close to finishing.

By that time the guy I followed had disappeared in the distance…

At the 20km waterstop I knew I was close and did not have a drink, instead tried to speed up a little, I had about 10 min left to make it under 2hrs!  It is hard to run sub 5min/km on a dirt road after 20km!  Lucky the road wasn’t too corrugated!  Again I saw someone in front of me and I was gaining on him! I went faster to catch up, but he speeded up too, I really wanted to pass him, but I did not have the legs for the last little hill to the gate..  anyhow: time 1hr 59min 51 seconds!!!!! Under 2hrs and I was third.. the guy I was chasing was a ‘walker’ that started the run at 2pm !

Great run -most of it downhill- and through one of the most beautiful areas in this region. The shower and rest around the pool was well earned.. the beer tasted fantastic (Stella Artois)! The food was very good and reasonable priced. At about 7.30pm me and Cameron took the bus back to the car.. On the way we saw a red looking ‘possum’. The driver did not recognize the animal, and asked us if he could drive back to get the camera and some books. We were as excited as him to see this animal in the trees, so we didn’t mind. However another car came past and gave us a lift to our car instead.

When we arrived in Paluma it was covered in mist!  A bit of a hairy ride in the beginning down the hill, but soon we were under the clouds and we came home safely. 

A great night out, and I look forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment